Re: STP/FTP

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: STP/FTP
  • From: Vince <vince@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:41:11 +0000

Hi Tracey,

For CAT5 networking, UTP is used as standard (I have never seen STP or FTP
used). UTP is available in solid (for fixed wiring) and stranded (for patch
cords).

STP refers to a "Shielded Twisted Pair" cable and it could use
foil, braid
or the combination of them both to provide better shield coverage. FTP
refers to just a foil shield with no braid so I thinks it is STP . STP is
available in solid (for fixed wiring) and stranded (for patch cords).

STP is used to help reduce RFI and induced noise.

Vince

PS. I could be completely wrong!

At 15:59 17/12/00, you wrote:
>Hi Vince
>
>My CPC catalogue lists UTP as Unshielded Twisted Pair
>and STP as Shielded Twisted Pair both with identical
>solid conductors.
>
>All the catalogues that I have list UTP and STP or
>UTP and FTP but I cannot find the terms FTP and STP
>used alongside each other in any catalogue which is
>what is puzzling me.
>
>It sounds as though you're saying that STP and FTP are
>the same beast?
>
>Regards
>
>Tracey

Click here for more details: