RE: Re Laing Homes

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re Laing Homes
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:48:14 -0000

Hmmm ... I think that's an SDI feed. The same as used for professional
digital video interfacing. Visioneer can (and will) modify DVD players and
Sky Digiboxes to produce an appropriate feed if you buy one of their SDI
equipped plasmas.

It isn't however a direct digital feed off the disc ... it removes the
digital to analogue process at the "source" end and replaces it
with a
digital to digital process instead and at the "sink" end it
replaces the
analogue to digital process with another digital to digital process. The
net
result however is that you remove the conversion to and from analogue (we
assume that the digital conversions are non-lossy).

The results are good ... certainly better than component or RGB but
ultimately I thought that plasma technology itself still has some catching
up to do. I'm still not happy enough with the quality of the displays
themselves. Plasmas still bleed between pixels, they still have poor
contrast and the Pioneer plasma that we have here at work is showing signs
of wear ... It's only about a year old now.

Phil