RE: iButton Control of your doors!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: iButton Control of your doors!
  • From: "Ian Bird" <I.Bird@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:20:35 -0000

Hi Mick

Unfortunately I have thrown away the packing but here is a description of
the features.
1) It is a brass effect one although they do the same spec in a gun metal
colour as well.
2) It is a 'thin' lock in width. That is to say the barrel bit is closer to
the door frame than normal. This is  because I am not fitting it in the
usual jointy place in the door. Its only about 1/2 an inch or so though.
The
lock ends up being 1/2 an inch narrower.
3) It is of the automatic deadlock variety. That is to say there is another
little latch above the main lock. When this is depressed by the door frame
when its closed the main latch is locked. This stops the 'credit card' type
of attack.
4) It is possible to lock the handle from the inside using a key. This
stops
the burglars (heaven forbid) from getting out through the door once inside.
I have experience of this from many years ago and think we lost a lot less
ecause everything had to go out through the window.
5) Finally it was 1p shy of 50 quid!

My local Homebase has a display of all these locks but I had to go to Do It
All to get one (figure that!).

I love the bit about turning individual keys on/off in HV. Making the final
connection tonight so more soon unless I blow something up. I have some
etching to do as well but I have been banned to the garage for that after
melting holes holes in the kettle playing with battery acid. Amazing how
wifes and girlfriends don't forget the odd little slip - 15 years ago as
well.

The manual override button simply closes one Port B contact and HV opens
the
lock using one relay driveer (Port A).

More later

Ian