Re: Coax install

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Coax install
  • From: "Ewen Cameron" <ewenjc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:38:05 -0000

Same happened to me.  They wanted to run miles of coax over skirting
board to behind my TV and told me that the coax I had under the floor
would be no good (they claimed it had to be solid - which may be true
for outside to stop water flowing down it).  In the end I got them to
just run the cable to my patch panel cupboard (on an outside wall)
and once they had gone I moved the box to my lounge connect to my
coax.  They had fitted something to drop the signal by 3DB which I
needed to remove to get a good signal.

LabGear do an amplified splitter which needs no power at the splitter
end (about 70 quid).  It can also send IR back on the coax.  I have a
none amplified version running to our bedroom (25 quid).  It works ok
but does not transmit all of the Pace NTL remote buttons.  LabGear
have just been aquired and their site is being re-built.  The Pace
NTL box has a plug for a remote IR receiver but no documentation on
it.

Let us know how you get on.
-Ewen

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Rob West <rwest@i...> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Sounds similar to what I've got in my house. I just let the NTL
guys put
> their stuff in my front room and then sorted it all out (i.e. moved
it)
> once they'd gone. I've now got the cable decoder in the loft -
works a
> treat from anywhere in the house with the aid of my remote control
> extender.
>
> In your case, with no power in the loft, I would leave the cable
decoder
> in the front room (also a good time to feed the signal through a
VCR).
> You can then send the decoded signal up to the loft and sit up there
> with a TV (and a long extension lead) to find out which of the eight
> cables is the live one.
>
> To solve the "no power in the loft" problem you can buy a TV
> distribution system in which the amplifier is separate from the
splitter
> (can't remember the brand name, but mine was about 25 quid from
CPC).
> This will allow you to boost the signal before you send it up to the
> loft in the first place.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Rob.
>
> --
> Rob West                                   +44 (0)1536 201202
Ext.230
> Senior Software Engineer                   rwest@i...
> Intelligent Network Services Ltd.          rob.west@s...
>

> Michael Mc Aree wrote:
> >
> > My father is moving into a new (& newly built) house next
week
which has
> > coax running from the (very small) attic to at least 8 rooms.
Each room has
> > a TV point in the corner. NTL have cabled to the front of the
house and it
> > looks as if they have went throught the wall and into one TV wall
socket.
> > This point will definately NOT have a TV plugged into it.
> > I have been put in charge of getting NTL to all rooms in the
house without
> > NTL engineers making a mess.
> > Can I use the coax in the front room that NTL look to be using as
a route to
> > the attic?
> > >From the attic I have a bundle of 8 coax cables, none
labeled,