RE: Coax install

  • To: "'ukha.d'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Coax install
  • From: BROUGHTON NICK <nick.broughton@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:52:58 -0000

My 2p worth....

My father is in a very similar position.  He thought he was going to
have to install his digi-box in the loft!
HOWEVER, and I suggest you check this, he found that there were 2
coax cables running to the lounge, the second was unterminated and
hidden behind a blanking plate.  So, one feeds down the aerial signal
from the loft, where it mixes with digibox, VCR, DVD? and sends the
signal back to the loft up the other cable.  If you don't need to mix
an aerial signal with the NTL signal then I guess you can manage with
one coax as long as there's no TV there.  (But that means the NTL box
is sitting on it's own somewhere?)

I have installed CAT5 in my house in bundles of 6.  Each bundle is
identified, but individual cables are not, although half of them have
the lettering running in the other direction, which helps.  I have
identified the correct cable within a bunch by putting a PP3 battery
on one pair at one end and then testing for voltage at the other end,
torch bulb or multimeter recommended.  I'm sure you could rig
something similar with coax.

As far as splitting it, you could just buy splitters but I'm fairly
confident you'd see unacceptable signal degradation.  I think you'd
want a splitter/amp, which would require power.  You did say it was
difficult, not impossible, didn't you :-)

HTH

Nick