RE: Webpads

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Webpads
  • From: REB.Barnett@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:36:32 -0000

> because it will live in the lounge. I liked the webpad idea
> and even sent
> Honeywell a mail asking if could be interfaced onto local web
> pages rather
> than an ISP through a modem but never received an answer. I

Their on-line ordering pages are working again:
http://hcpretail.honeywell.com/HCP_Store/catalog/productdisplay.asp?subgroup
num=74

The WebPad is $995.
The ethernet base station is $195.

It's confusing reading the blurb for the base station. It looks as though
it
has a 10baseT port for an ethernet connection, which I presume hooks up to
an ISDN or ADSL router. That would mean I expect there is no reason why it
couldn't be connected to my proxy server instead. Any ISP is supported,
which again suggests it will talk to a proxy server on a LAN. I'm
downloading the PDF manual anyway to find out.

Interestingly it also mentions that PCs can connect to the ethernet base
station too by RF. No mention of what adaptors are supported. 2.4GHz is the
frequency it uses, which I have vague recollections of being used by video
senders etc. Will this be a legal frequency in the UK, and anyone happen to
know if the latest batch of RF networking cards use a standard(same)
frequency.

Spousal approval was granted last night subject to it working in the UK and
being legal, so I'll keep you informed.

We already have a notebook, and given the choice of booting up Win 98 and
perching a laptop on my lap, or just switching on a webpad and holding it
on
the sofa like a book with a touchscreen - not a tricky decision to make.

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/3/_/2065/_/974273809/