RE: OT: W2k ICS vs. Linux masquerading

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: W2k ICS vs. Linux masquerading
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <mail@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:09:51 -0000

Keith,

Winmag.com have done some tests on 'older' machines. Processor helps, but
memory is crucial. Don't even think about trying w2k with less than 128Mb.
Your K6 should be OK.

Don't upgrade win98. Backup your data, and do a fresh install. The OS, plus
swap file etc, needs around 1Gb!

If you don't want to worry about the firewall w2k has ics (and bandwidth on
demand) built in. The AVM Fritz card (Also marketed as the BT Speedway) is
worth a shout, especially regarding where you work!

Tim.