Re: COMFORT QUESTION (Was RE: Modem Caller-ID question (long-ish))

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: COMFORT QUESTION (Was RE: Modem Caller-ID question (long-ish))
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 17:24:38 GMT

>explanation.  I can imagine that overnight line fault alarms could make
>serious dent in the WAF...

You betcha!

As can a blocked gutter and a particularly heavy rainstorm, resulting in
water gushing up under the eaves, into the loft, and then through the tiny
hole through which the bathroom PIR cable runs, straight into the PIR body
itself, which then procedes to FILL with water! - Never thought I'd need to
put a drain hole in a PIR casing, but these baby's are pretty water-tight!
and they don't like it when they get full of water! (Nor does the Wife when
the alarm goes off at 5 in the morning because of it!

Equally as WAF-annoying, and again water related, is when the recent storms
and floods result in rainwater collecting on the front step (which almost
always remains dry when it rains, but not when it rains sideways!), from
there seeping through into the cellar, dripping from the cellar ceiling all
over the laptop PC on the table below, with the Comfort serial interface
board sticking out the back of it. - Yep, you guessed it, just the bare
naked circuit board... Awash with water, fizzing away and making salts
bubble up on the PCB. Fortunately it was a little later in the morning when
it went off that time - we were already up. (and the interface still works
as well - I dried it off, and cleaned it up with one og the wife's make-up
brushes!!)

All depressingly true I'm afraid!

Paul G.

(Am I just cursed? - I'm glad I never tried making those outdoor speakers!)