Re: AD10 - clunks but doesn't always turn on the light ?

Looks really good Marcus :-)

I can't help with your X10 question, but I was wondering how you
constructed and finished the drop part of the ceiling.

>From the pics, and some of your text, you appear to have constructed
the drop ceiling as permanently attached to the original ceiling - is
that right? or can you take the middle bit down ?

What are you using for the surface of the drop ceiling, plasterboard?
and is it skimmed (as appears to be the case in one photo), or just
taped & filled?

Cheers,

Tim

On 7/5/06, Marcus Warrington <marcusw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just finished rewiring the the hallways and dining room for X10
> control, but have a small problem that I hope someone can solve for
me.
> The dining room has a dropped central ceiling that has strip lights
> around the perimeter that act as concealed wall wash lighting.
>
> The central cieling is approx 3m x 4m and has one flourescent tube at
> each 3m end and 2 tubes along each 4m side, giving a total of 6 tubes
> (around 350-400watt). These are chain wired one to the next and are
> (now) fed from an AD10 mounted in a consumer unit hidden on top of the
> dropped ceiling. The wall switch has been replaced with a momentary
> switch to toggle the AD10. I've also had to put a plugin filter
in-line
> between the AD10 and the strip lights otherwise they become
"invisible"
> to X10 commands when turned on.
>
> If this doesn't make a lot of sense I've uploaded some pictures that
may
> make it clearer..
>
> http://www.marcusw.dsl.pipex.com/webalbum/Dining%20Room/slides/CIMG0674.
> html
>
> http://www.marcusw.dsl.pipex.com/webalbum/Dining%20Room/slides/CIMG0672.
> html
>
> You can also see some pictures of the touch screen monitor I've sunk
> into the wall (although I need to sink it a bit more to get the
> stainless steel bezel installed flush) , this is connected to an old
> PIII 500mhz machine that runs XLOBBY for MP3 selection/playback in the
> kitchen and dining room. The soundcard is feed into a Sonic Impact
T-AMP
> and feed to speakers above the wall cabinets in the kitchen and to
some
> speakers (tempory fix) in the dining room.
>
> Now this all works but occasionally (maybe one time in ten) the AD10
> will "Clunk!" but the lights don't come on. If I press the
switch again,
> then there is no clunk and nothing happends, press again (third time)
> and there is a Clunk and the lights come on. Usually this only happens
> when the lights have been off for a few hours (overnight). My best
guess
> is that the relay is firing but not latching i.e. going back to its
off
> state even though the AD10 firmware "thinks" its on...
Question is why