Re: Which book to buy?

At 19:58 02/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>problems with that.  I'm really looking for guidelines, do's &
don'ts,
>and stuff like how do you run miles of cat5 through an already built
>house without ripping all the walls to bits :-)

I presume you've seen my stuff at http://ha.orrs.net, under wiring for home
automation?  As you're looking for a book, there are some PDF files
referenced from there, I'd particularly recommend you look at/print out:
http://www.levitontelcom.com/education/default.header.htm
particularly http://www.levitontelcom.com/pdf/strategies.pdf
and
http://www.wildtracks.cihost.com/homewire/
both those are pdf files that you can print out.  I think the former (the
leviton wiring installation guide) is also available as a book for $9.99 or
something if you'd rather save your printer paper!  They're both pretty
comprehensive, and readable.

>from everyone's web sites, but a good, well illustrated book can be
very
>handy when you're in the middle of things.

Absolutely- I prefer dead tree over reading from a screen any day,
particularly when you're in the middle of a mains-related installation and
the power is switched off :-)

I don't think there's a book version of the info on my site, if there is,
I'll put a pointer on there to it- most of the stuff around is US-centric,
and home structures there are different from here.  If there's any
specifics that you still can't find info about between my wiring page and
the above PDFs, ask and I'll add it if I can, or might know a pointer to
it!

Nigel

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just