Re: CCTV

Andy,

I haven't had the two hour cut off problem yet with either Freeserve or
Totalise
although NTL's new free service states clearly that you will be
disconnected
after two hours.

It should be easy to bypass this though, a small script to detect
disconnection
and re-connect, or depending on your dial-up-networking version [assuming
using
windows of course] you can set the automatic reconnection in your account
properties. I would also recommend using a large number of redial attempts
[say
30] with a largish delay between attempts [again 30secs to a minute] just
in
case they have a delay before you can reconnect to them.

Calum

"Brown, Andy [Infrastructure]" wrote:

> Mark,
>
> With respect to item 4, regardless of the connection costs (free or
> otherwise), most ISPs will drop your connection after 2hrs (idle or
not).
> May be this is a subject for a different thread, but I'd be interested
> know any one who doesn't get kicked off after 2hrs constant connection
time.

> I would have thought that most ISPs will adopt this stance even more
> aggressively in the future with free connection costs.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

this week (those
> > guys
> > that want to tarmac your drive for a knock-down price).  I can
tell from
> > the
> > log file of drive movement that HomeVision creates when they
entered and
> > exited the property.  I would like to have had some pictures too.
> >
> > So.what do I do.  Here are the options/problems as I see them.
> >

> > 1. If I have multiple cameras how do I switch/route them to the
recording
> > device?
> >
> > 2. What's the best way to distribute the pictures round the
house? I have
> > wired for both Coax and CAT5 distribution -Keith where are those
CAT5
> > boxes
> > :-)
> >
> > 3. What is the best way to record?  An old VCR or a PC with
Capture card.
> > Video capture is pretty intensive stuff.  It's easy to drop
frames.  You'd
> > have to capture at a pretty hi-res to be of any use.  My HA PC
(Otto) is
> > an
> > old P233MMX with 64meg and no capture hardware.
> >
> > 4. When 24/7 Net access is "free" later this year I
will have my home
> > permanently connected to the Net via my Home Highway.  What's the
best way
> > to have the camera output sent to my desk at work?
> >
> > 5. I can use my drive sensors and external PIRs round the house
to tell
> > when
> > and where to record from.  Anyone got the logic for this worked
out in a
> > macro HV?
> >
> > 6. If you get a sea gull to eat an alka-sleser is it true they
explode?

> > Thanks
> >
> > M.
> >
> > PS - Here's a nice idea!  A CCTV camera that plugs into a
standard CAT5
> > oulet and sends pictures over your LAN/WAN
> > http://www.uk.axis.com/products/cam_2100/index.html
> >
> > _________________________________
> > The UKs Premier Home Automation Site
> > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
> > _________________________________

> > Whatever you want, chances are you'll find it at one of the
hundreds
> > of sites in The PointClick Network--like Disney.com, eCost.com,
> > FogDog.com and many more. You get paid as you shop and an
additional
> > 10% off any purchase, anytime.

> Chocolate eggs, tulips, bunnies and more...
> Click Here

You can win $1000!
Just one of 1000 great reasons to visit eGroups!
Click here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2865/5/_/2065/_/955563495/

begin:vcard
n:Morrell;Calum