Re: Home Network

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Home Network
  • From: kamilner@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:18:56 -0700

wright ian <ian.wrigh-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=987
> Can anyone tell me the peices I need to collect to do the following;
>
> I have an ISDN2 line going into a standard TA (BT Ignition).  I have
also
> wired in for 8 network ports which will go into a 8 port Hub.
> What do I need to allow the 8 network ports (about 3 PCs) to share the
> connection to the internet via the ISDN TA and also run a local email
again
> accessing the internet at set intervals to download and ppick up
external
> mail.

You have several options. What you really need is a router or network
server. Typically an ISDN router is a stand-alone box which has an ISDN
port, and an ethernet port to connect to the internal LAN. Some of
these have built in ethernet hubs. Someone has already mentioned the
3-Com box, but other ones to look for include Ascend Pipeline and Cisco
700. This is the best solution. If you want more detail on how these
work feel free to email me.

The alternative is to have a network server. This is effectively a PC
that plugs into an Internet connection (your ISDN TA in this case) and
acts as a server for other PCs on the network. In some instances the PC
can act as a router, in others it can act as a proxy or mail server.
The disadvantage is obviously you have to have a spare PC to use as the
server.

My recommendation is the ISDN router.

As for the email requirement, you will need a server for this. If you
want to do this cheaply, and you are fairly computer literate, I would
recommend getting hold of an old 486 PC, and sticking linux on it. You
can then run this "headless" (no kb, screen or mouse) on the
network.
If you leave it going all the time, you can very easily schedule the
pickup of mail. This will also then act as a POP3 mail server for local
machines. This solution will work in conjunction with an ISDN router.
Config it differently, and it could act as a network router into your
existing ISDN TA, although this is a bit trickier. You can also use it
as a central file server, printer server, local web server, etc. if you
really want.

> Does anyone know a cheap supplier of cat5 patch panels, racks (a 10 U
wall
> mounted would be nice), also a 8 port PBX which could use the network
for
> voice mail etc.

Dunno about the other stuff, but for the PBX try Andrews and Arnold
(http://www.aa.nu). They do a unit called
Cybergear Gold which is (as I
understand it) also a LAN hub and ISDN router, but it only has 6
extensions.

Cheers,

Keith

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d