Re: BIG drives

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: BIG drives
  • From: phil.hooker@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:43:51 -0700

They have gone down to =A389 since you sent this mail and with free
delivery (Scan charge you).

Does anyone know of a decent IDE controller they can co-exist with
existing IDE interfaces, or support 8 drives? I have already used all
my IDE ports (4) but want to add more drives. It must support large
drives (17GB ;-). The only one I found was limited to 8GB.

Cheers

Phil

"paul gordon" <paul_gordo-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=3D990
> HOLD THE PRESS!!
>
> Dabs Direct (www.dabs.com) are selling this very same drive for =A393
> It's the Fulitsu Picobird 17.3GB
>
> Bear in mind of course that all prices for either of these suppliers
are EX
> VAT (as are nearly all advertised PC prices).
>
> I bought one of these about 1 month ago from Dabs, (at the higher
price of
> =A3112 then) - Isn't it annoying when they drop the price just 2 weeks
after
> you buy something!!!
>
> MP3 jukebox was the very purpose for this drive, and it's working
very well
> - about 12GB's of MP3's on there at the moment.
>
> BTW, they have used the now pretty common trick of expressing the
capacity
> in "decimal Gigabytes" - IE x1000 instead of x1024, so
although not
> technically lying about the size, there's actually only 16GB
available to
> use.
>
> Also, ATA-66 Mobo's are about as rare as hen's teeth right now - I've
been
> scouring the pages of PCW with a fine tooth comb sice I bought the
drive a
> month ago, and I only JUST found one last week, which I bought. (Also
from
> Scan) - this is the Abit BE6, which if memory serves, set me back
about =A385,
> has ATA-66 on board, and is supplied with one ATA-66 high-density
cable
> (which is required to use ATA-66 drives at the full ATA-66 speed)
>
> I reckon that right now (well, this week anyway), this particular
drive
> currently offers the best price-per-GB ratio available, as the next
step up,
> to 20, 22, 25 or 27GB drives all have quite significant price hikes
at each
> step.
>
> Still, you just KNOW that within a few months (weeks??) drives will
be going
> for =A31 per GB, and we'll all have 250GB drives in our machines!!!
(We'll
> probably need it for WIN2K ;-)))
>
> ho-hum...
>
> Paul Gordon.
>
> >From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
> >To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
> >Subject: [ukha_d] BIG drives
> >Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:28:27 +0100
> >
> >Hi All
> >
> >Another SCAN deal that looks pretty amazing.  Anyone thinking of
setting up
> >an MP3 jukebox might be interested in this one.
> >

> >http://www.scan.co.uk/today.htm
> >TODAY ONLY
> >Fujitsu 17GbB
> >Hi-Performance Hard Drive
> >
> >with a 512K Cache & FAST 8ms access & 5400rpm
> >The above drive is ATA-66 with 3 Year Warranty
> >
> >EXCLUSIVE to SCAN Included FREE with this superb deal is Drive
Copy!
The
> >professional software to help to copy and backup your complete
drive
while
> >you upgrading to your new drive from SCAN - We think of
everything!
FREE
> >worth =A319.00 (rrp) while stocks last.
> >
> >=A396.00