Re: plea for help with

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: plea for help with
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:06:30 GMT

Don't laugh, I had actually thought of that!! - in the past I've tried:
(with no success I might add) covering the front bezels with black
sticky-back plastic from Homebase (ala Blue Peter!), and hand painting one.
Neither gave satisfactory results (not something I'd want to have on show
in
my lounge anyway). So I sort of gave up on the painting idea before I tried
spraying one - just not confident that the result from spraying would be
that much better than my earlier efforts. - Plus I KNOW these things are
available in black, 'cos at least a couple of manufacturers are now selling
whole black systems... (I just don't NEED to buy a whole PC system)..

Maybe I will give the spraying idea a go (on one of my older CDROM's)....

cheers.

Paul.

>From: Steve Morgan <steve@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: plea for help with "convergence"
product
>Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:37:05 +0100
>
>My other half just read this and said 'why doesn't he just spray it'!
>
>Erm, oh, yes.
>
>Try taking the bezels off a standard CD Rom drive and floppy and take
>it,
>complete with PC case to your local respray shop.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

_too_ far
>out...
>
>I'm intending to build a "convergence" PC (just LOVE those
>buzzwords!")
>
>What I basically want is a state-of-the-art WINTEL PC to live in my
>AV rack in my lounge, along with the hi-fi / TV / VCR's etc.. The
>intention being for it to perform several functions, and replace
>several other seperate boxes:
>
>1) Games playing - replacing the Sony Playstation
>2) DVD movie's - removing the need to buy a consumer DVD player.
>3) Web-TV - via my ISDN line, for browsing, banking, shopping, online
>gaming, TV guide, etc.. AND for accessing by home intranet which will
>be the front-end for my MP3 jukebox.
>4) MP3 jukebox player - replacing my current CD player.
>5) Remote control of other PC's in the house via PC-Anywhere
>6) Possibly some HA control as well??
>
>The existing 33" TV will be used as the monitor, via a S-video
>connection, the keyboard/mouse will be wireless, so only a base unit
>will need to live in my rack. I've already specified most of the
>parts, and already sourced some of them as well. BUT, my main problem
>is this:
>
>I _REALLY_ don't want a beige PC in my living room!! - I'm having a
>pretty hard time sourcing a base unit that's black (I mean really
>black, rather than a sort of muddy dark brown!), and black-fascia'd
>drives to go in it...
>
>So I'd be REALLY greatful if all you helpful guys and gals would let
>me know if you hear about anywhere I can get any of these items:
>
>Black DVD-ROM drive (zone unrestricted, latest 5X / 6X etc.)
>Black CD-ROM drive IDE or SCSI, latest 32X / 40X etc.
>Black ATX (slimline or full) desktop case (not midi/mini/full tower)
>
>I could probably dispense with a dedicated CD drive, if the DVD drive
>gives good enough audio CD playback (dual-pickup?) - the reason being
>that my wife hasn't "quite" come around to the idea yet, so
I've had
>to promise to leave existing CD playback functionality available
>alongside the MP3 jukebox facility.
>
>The idea would be that this PC would be 'always on' - IE available at
>least as quickly as any other consumer equipment, so it'd have to
>conform to the ACPI power-management spec, and the "OnNow"
spec, so a
>mere press of the front panel sleep/resume button gives me a useable
>computer in about 5 seconds, and I'd want to be able to wake it up
>automatically by selecting the appropriate TV channel as well,
>(somehow), so in practice, all I do is pick up my URC, select the TV
>channel number for the PC, and after a few seconds, I see my intranet
>homepage, which has links for all the services offered by the PC....
>
>I'm not in any hurry - I'm planning on using Windows 2000 as the OS
>on this machine, so we're unlikely to be putting it together until
>Q4, so I'd really appreciate it if you could bear this in mind in the
>coming months.
>
>If anyone's interested, my planned spec for this machine is as
>follows: (subject to change!)
>
>Intel P111/500Mhz
>128MB RAM
>10GB  Wide-ultra SCSI disk
>3COM 10/100Mb Ethernet card (running at 100Mb)
>Creative SB Live! soundcard
>RIVA TNT-2 AGP 32MB 3D graphics card with S-video out
>Adaptec AHA2940UW PCI wide-ultra SCSI controller
>5X SCSI DVD-ROM drive. - Black!
>32X /40X SCSI CD-ROM drive. - Black!
>As yet undecided MPEG2 decoder card for DVD-movies (open to
>recommendations!)
>Infrared cordless keyboard/mouse.
>
>Here's hoping someone can help me.
>
>Thanks y'all
>
>Paul Gordon.

>Does your free web site address contain more letters than the alphabet?
>Register a domain name with DomainDirect. A domain with NO hosting
fees.
>Visit http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/49
for full details.

>eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.eGroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

>Does your free web site address contain more letters than the alphabet?
>Register a domain name with DomainDirect. A domain with NO hosting
fees.
>Visit http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/49
for full details.

>eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.eGroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

Why are most stock sites so slow and annoying to use?  StockMaster.com
is fast, easy, powerful, and free!   Use company names, not ticker
symbols.  Track your portfolio.  Visit: http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/65