Re: Microphone help

At 17:54 18/02/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I want to use an omni-directional microphone for speech commands in a
>room approx 15 * 18 feet. I have run some tests using a headset
>microphone resting on the top of a monitor and this worked at about 6
>feet. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice about cheap
>omni-directional microphones ?

How cheap do you want?  Cheapest is probably an electret capsule- cost
about =A31 (from any electronics supplier), need a 1.5V to 10V power supply
(eg battery).  If you want something nicer to look at, try to get hold of
an older type Tandy PZM (plate) mic- cost about =A330.  The type they
currently sell are rumoured to be not so good, but might be adequate for
your purposes.

Nigel
--
Nigel Orr                  Research Associate   O   ______=09
Underwater Acoustics Group,              o / o    \_/(

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d