Re: Any recommendations?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Any recommendations?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:10:29 GMT

Paul,

I've seen transceiver pairs available from places like Wadsworths, and
Black Box et al, that allow Keyboard/Video/Mouse (KVM) to be sent over
cat5 UTP runs, - up to 600 feet... (sorry I'm too old to work in
metres!!). Unfortunately, they are asking in the region of £300 - £400
for these devices (far too rich for my budget!), but it does prove that
these distances are perfectly feasible.

Additionally, because I have so many PC's in my computer room at home, I
use a couple of the KVM switches that are available from people like
Keyzone, and these invariably involve the use of extension cables on the
standard keyboard, screen and mouse cables, and I've got a couple
working on lengths of 5 and 10 feet. - I have used them up to 25 feet at
work, also with success, but at this length, the VGA image becomes a bit
"iffy" - only a problem with SVGA resolutions (like I use at
home) - at
work the servers are only running standard VGA resolution (640 x 480)
and this was just fine over 25 feet.

With regard to the cameras - I recently purchased a TV tuner/video
capture card from Scan (www.scan.co.uk) for precisely this purpose, (but
I haven't had a chance to try it yet). I chose it because it has a): an
IR mini-receiver on a 3-foot flylead, and is supplied with an IR
handset.
and b): because it has a "channel scan" mode where it can split
the PC
screen into 4, and simultaneously show 4 video windows. (presumably at
one-quarter frame-rate??)

My plan is to have all my cameras modulated onto different UHF channels,
and then have the PC card's tuner tuning into those camera channels, and
show them all at the same time in a 4-way split screen display. (just
like you see in the expensive CCTV installations). Because this 4-way
camera display is then part of my PC's SVGA display, I could then
utilise a VGA card with TV out, and modulate this mixed signal back out
onto the UHF distribution cable, so that from any TV I can tune into any
individual camera, or a combined view of them all.

Then, as the card is controllable via IR (including recording any
channel to an AVI file), it should be easy-peasy to get any HA
controller that does IR, to automatically initiate a video capture to
disk, from any camera.

Best of all? - this card only cost £35.00 and even included batteries
for the IR handset!! (and it's PCI & therefore jumperless..)

Incidentally, I was thinking of using one of the el-cheapo
"video-senders" as a means of modulating one of the cameras
composite
signal onto my UHF network, (I have an old one lying around that cost
about £30 about 5 years ago). However, has something happened with
frequency allocation for videosenders? - I've recently seen a couple of
adverts for newer ones at £125-odd, that also act as IR repeaters..
Anyone know what's the state of play with the use of videosenders in the
UK at the moment??

Cheers.

Paul Gordon.

>From ukha_d-return-276-paul_gordon=hotmail.com@xxxxxxx Mon
Mar  1 05:58:49 1999
>From: "Paul Miller" <pmiller@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:59:00 -0000
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Any recommendations?
>
>Hi guys,
>just picked up on this,
>
> - Computer (all the CPUs are in one 'IT' room, with just monitor,
>> keyboard etc. in each room - no big, noisy boxes cluttering the
rooms!)

>does anyone have any clues as to how far you can drive
>monitors/keyboards/mice with cable?
>
>I would not have belived that you could distrbute it so easily.
>
>Second one on your current Security system theme, I had my garden shed
done
>over (again) last night, and I believe its about time I stopped talking
>about security cameras and actual installed them, If possibly I would
like
>them to be integrated either with my PC direct (second choice) or with
X10,