Re: Surge suppressors and PC power supplies

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Surge suppressors and PC power supplies
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:55:59 +0100

At 08:38 28/07/99 +0100, you wrote:
>well as the power button on the front. Even then the suppression
components
>can be before the mains switch. It doesnt matter where they are located
as
>long as they are between the supply and the actual equipment.

Which is another good reason why you should switch off at the socket before
unplugging- I've had a couple of mild shocks from mains plugs where the
plug has been removed from the socket after the appliance has been switched
off but with the socket switched on- if you pull it at just the right time,
the suppression caps will be charged to about 340V- which is certainly
enough to surprise, although unlikely to hurt unless it makes you fall off
a ladder or whatever...

I would suspect that the proximity of the PC to the X10 driver is a big
part of the problem- the only solution might be to run a dedicated supply
to the PC, on its own spur, or to plug the X10 driver into another ring.
That's a bit of a nuisance unless the wiring happens to be nearby though.
You can think of the mains wiring as a big rheostat, and you ideally want
all your equipment with suppressors close together, away from all the X10
system items.  The problem is worsened when you want to control a
suppressed item with X10...

Do FCC regs in the USA set the same sort of limits on power line noise?
Have they been established long enough that manufacturers design for that
from the start, rather than bodging on suppressors at the end?

Nigel
--
Nigel Orr                  Research Associate   O   ______
Underwater Acoustics Group,              o / o    \_/(

GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS99
at checkout.  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/463

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications