Re: TV and sound over CAT5

re: Whole house MP3, intranet dev, and caller id(!)

With regard to running audio over CAT5, I experimented a little last
night. I cut a short (screened) cable used for connecting portable CD
players to hifis in half and soldered 14m of CAT5 between the two ends.
The original cable was arranged so that the earth return formed the
screen, although this ran as seperate screens for the left and right
channel of the original cable, I assumed that since the plug going into
the CD player had only three connections, the earth was common to both
channels. This means that the return pair of each half of my twisted
pairs was common - I presume this does not matter since there was little
I could do about it anyway, and presumably the two channels have very
similar signals on them compared to external noise. (This last paragraph
confused me, so I hope you follow it!).

The upshot was that when run from the PC (upstairs) to our more
expensive hifi (downstairs), the sound quality was fine (as compared to
how it normally sounds, although I didn't perform a blind test ;-) ).
However, if I turned the gain up high (half way) on the hifi, to allow
me to control the volume from the PC, there was an unacceptable level of
hum (sounded like mains) when no audio was playing. Interestingly, when
connected to the upstairs hifi (a cheaper Aiwa), using the same length
of cable, there was a much reduced level of hum, to the point that it
was tolerable.

Is the hum due to a more expensive hifi having a higher quality input,
so it can detect the interference; a more expensive but older hifi that
is in fact poorer quality; or perhaps simply that my wire went close to
a source of interference? I tried to deliberately introduce interference
by running the cable close to mains cables, and by wrapping mains cables
around the cat5, but this made no discernable difference to either hifi.

Am I likely to see an improved by moving to a balanced signal?
(presumably yes). Do I do this simply by sticking a transformer at
either end of the 10base T cable?

We're really quite excited by how well this worked now, since it means
that not only do we get a proper whole house (2 rooms at first)
multichanger, but it occurred to me that I can run some caller ID
software on the PC and therefore get the house to announce who incoming
telephone calls are from - and this at no extra cost other than the BT
subscription! A killer solution since that removes the desire to get a
more expensive DECT phone that supports caller ID display (I've held off
buying one for a year or more since I think it is shocking they haven't
managed to put this feature in when my mobile has had it for years).

I've also played with Visual Interdev 6.0, which seems much better than
Interdev 1.0 that I first played with, so I may end up developing in
this. Does anyone have any pointers to simplish ways of using to VB to
extract caller ID information from a modem?

Ray Barnett.

Simplifying group communications

Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449