Re: TV and sound over CAT5

At 12:36 27/07/99 +0100, you wrote:
>The one argument that I'm finding very difficult to believe at the
moment,
>is that mains leads can make a difference between the 13 amp socket and
the
>amplifier, even though you just have twin and earth just running in a
ring
>main.

There's a refreshingly good reason why you might be finding that difficult
to believe... If you want to do the job right, you should really be running
your system off a set of batteries with some large electrolytics to
decouple the supply, but for some reason no manufacturers have gone for
that obvious step...

>will be able to do HA properly. One thing I will do is put in a
dedicated
>spur for the Home Cinema.

Straight from the 275kV grid, I trust ;-).  I presume you realise that if
you use the same spur for your TV/projector, or anything else with a switch
mode power supply, you will lose any 'cleanliness' that you might have
'added', and if you use a different ring or spur, you may need balanced
audio for any connections to avoid ground loops.

I've just thought of something else- will there be X-10 running in this
same 'clean' electrical system?  Now that _would_ make me smile.

If you are having problems with mains, a power conditioner could be a good
investment (but will/should foul up the X-10 signal)

>If anyone in the SW London/Surrey area wants to know what REAL Hi-Fi
sounds
>like, email me, and we might be able to arrange something.

If I was in the area, I would!  But defining it as real puts you on rather
shaky ground- if it is more real than what the mastering engineers heard in
a _very_ different environment, with normal professional audio cabling,
then that is just chance- there is no other option unfortunately ;-(  If
you're happy with it, that's fine though.

Nigel

Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying