Re: TV and sound over CAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: TV and sound over CAT5
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:04:49 +0100

Nigel,

I don't think Tim tried to say that there were any _engineering_ =
arguments.

Speaking as a former classical recording engineer (before I turned to =
the
dark side, and discovered that IT paid a lot better), I used cheap XLR =
cable
when recording, and wouldn't have considered using expensive cable.

However, now I've got the money for a decent Hi-Fi (albeit not at the =
same
levels as Tim's), I have found that, to my hearing at least, =
high-quality
cabling _does_ make a difference to the sound of my system. (OK, I'm =
talking
about the difference between a pair of interconnects at =A320, and one =
at =A360,
not between one at =A360 and one at =A31500.)

The question _for me_ is not whether I understand the engineering =
behind it,
or whether indeed it's all snake oil, but whether spending money on =
this
makes me _happier_ with the _music_. Actually, if it makes me feel =
happier,
I'll buy snake oil even if there's no objectively measurable difference =
at
all.

I side very strongly with Tim on the subject of trials at home for any
hi-fi, including cables. In my case, the balancing factor is my wife, =
who
was a self confessed member of the "couldn't tell the difference =
between
separates and midi-system" brigade, and would rather spend the money
on
something else. If _she_ can tell the difference, then I figure there =
is
something in it.

To really stir the water though, when I self build, the main listening =
room
will have its three dimensions in the Golden Ratio to each other to =
minimise
standing waves ;-) (Probably 28' * 20' * 14' high).

Mark Harrison
European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
Tel: +44 20 8869 1439
Fax: +44 20 8423 7711
--- London Phone numbers have changed - please start to use the new =
ones
---
SMTP: Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx

These arguments are trotted out again and again on the rec.audio =
groups,
and have yet to be 'settled'.  The consensus is that if you want to =
spend
the money on cables, then go ahead and do it, that's wot capitalism is
supposed to be about.  But don't try to say there is a sound, =
engineering
reason why they are 'better', as true double blind tests haven't yet =
come
up with one, though there are a number of ways to fool the most =
critical of
listeners...

Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying