Re: TV and sound over CAT5

At 23:29 26/07/99 +0100, you wrote:
>The difference between the two is beyond belief. The more expensive
cable is
>less congested, each instrument is much better defined, and the stereo
>soundstage on good quality recordings is outstanding.

These arguments are trotted out again and again on the rec.audio groups,
and have yet to be 'settled'.  The consensus is that if you want to spend
the money on cables, then go ahead and do it, that's wot capitalism is
supposed to be about.  But don't try to say there is a sound, engineering
reason why they are 'better', as true double blind tests haven't yet come
up with one, though there are a number of ways to fool the most critical of
listeners...

However this does tend to deteriorate into a religious argument, so I will
end by reminding you to think of all the places the signal will have gone
before coming down your expensive cable- capacitors, transistor junctions,
dodgy guitar and mic leads etc etc etc...

>the fact that twin and earth isn't pretty, the copper doesn't have the
same
>level of purity as the stuff that is used in even 'bog standard' 79
strand.

The engineer in me recoils in horror at this point... I suppose someone
will be onto skin effect next... then directional speaker cables-
seriously, have a look on dejanews for speaker cable discussion on
rec.audio.tech or similar- it's all been said before- but do feel free to
buy whatever cables you like.

Nigel

GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS99
at checkout.  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/463

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications