Re: Where do I start??

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Where do I start??
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 20:22:04 GMT

Mark / Alex / Any other Londoners'

I'm certainly up for any London based face-to-face get-togethers'

(That mixes two of my favourite pastimes: Beer & Technology).

I'm also well up for a UKHA mini-convention as suggested by Keith Doxey,
and
have replied to his private email to that effect, but nonetheless would
still be interested in "networking" (hate that awful
americanism!) with any
London-based people, in addition to that.

By the way, I think CEDIA installations are prohibitively expensive (for me
anyway - I've got an expensive wife!), - they usually have a presence at
shows like the Ideal Home exhibition, and "Live 9x" (which comes
round in
November doesn't it?) - and I have visited their stand on several occasions
at these shows. They are usually showing lots of case studies for
installations their members have done, and these are almost always of the
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it" variety!!

Still, one can but hope!...

Regards.

Paul Gordon.

<Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Where do I start??
>Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:56:47 +0100
>
>Alex,
>
>Hi - good luck with the building.
>
>The first thing you have to decide is whether you want to go the DIY
>route, or go with a professional "Custom Installer."
>
>If you go the professional route, then you should look for one who's a
>member of  CEDIA. I have a directory of members, or can recommend one I
>have personal experience of (they are based in Worthing but have done
>work as far afield as Amsterdam, so Cambridge would be fine...)
>
>The next piece of general advice is to put in _lots_ of CAT5 (see the
>thread kicked off a few days ago.) Most things can be run over it (LAN,
>Telephone, ISDN, balanced Audio, Video - courtesy Mr. Doxey of this
>Parish.)
>
>Very general I'm afraid - if you want to meet for a drink in London one
>evening, then I'm happy to come and bounce ideas apart. I'm _not_ a
>professional, though, just a keen amateur...
>
>In fact, thinking about it, that offer extends to any one else who
works
>in London --- why don't we try meeting face-to-face at some point?
>

>Mark Harrison
>European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
>Tel: +44 20 8869 1439
>Fax: +44 20 8423 7711

>Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553
>

>eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications