Re: CAT 5 for new-build --- how many per room?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: CAT 5 for new-build --- how many per room?
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:23:44 +0100

I must put a photo up on the website for the members of this list showing
the sockets at what will be the back of my AV system.  I have multiple
power
sockets, 3 x CT100s plus motorised sat cables, 3 x 4 core coax projector
cables, 8 x CAT5, 4 x surround speaker wire, 2 x CT100 (for subwoofers).

A present these are just cables coming out of wall boxes.  I have to come
up
with some "nice" way of terminating these in face plates.  Some
(like the
satellite and projector cables) will just pass thru faceplates straight
into
the equipment.

CT125's. The
> maser bedroom has 2 to each side of the bed (+ 1 to each side for
lights)
> and 3 CT125's and a speaker extension (Main HiFi is just below).
> Office has
> 4 and 2 CT125's. Other bedrooms will have 2 and 2 CT125's. The
> Kitchen will
> have 3 and 2 CT125's, the Dining room will have 2 and No CT125's (you
have
> to escape to somewhere)
>
> My project is a renovation and putting trucking in has been
> difficult but I
> wish I had put much more in. I have 3 main nodes, Attic, Switch
> room, and a
> cupboard in the kitchen, I have run trucking between them all, the
Switch
> room to kitchen is 2 inch vacuum hose, the switch room to attic
> is a 6" x 6"
> pillar, the kitchen to attic will be the same. Unfortunately the
switch to
> attic pillar is completely full ! I made the mistake of dividing
> the pillar
> into two sections and put metal   trucking (4"x4") in it for
> mains, and the
> coax / cat5 to go with some pipes in the rest of the void (the metal
trunk
> to act as a screen). What I should have done is run the mains in
another
> place as it has taken up two much space.
>
> Because of the way I want to control the lighting I have home run all
the
> lighting power cable (including wall outlets) to my main nodes where
the
> controller's will sit (when I finish it, at the moment the lights are
> controlled by  solid state relays). I also have a 4 channel RF node in
the
> loft which feeds down to the switch room in CAT5 this means only a
short
> length of coax out onto the rood where the 3dB gain antenna sits, I
wanted
> the RF receiver to be in the switch room but the cable loss would
> have been
> too much with coax and I am after the maximum range I can get on
> 418MHz (in
> one spot I get 600m range although it is typically about 150m to
200m.)

> As I progressed on with my build I realised that it would be nice
> to be able
> to get at the data cable after plastering if a change was needed
> so upstairs
> the cable runs in conduit.
>
> One thing I have forgotten is to run is a daisy chain of cat5 though
each
> room for Dallas digital temperature sensors, but this would probely
only
> apply if you plan to use HomeVision.
>
> I have also used CAT5 to each room for security purposes (but
> thats not for
> a open forum)
>
> John
> jtankard@xxxxxxx

Simplifying group communications

> GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
> Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS99
> at checkout.  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/463
>

> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/475