Re: Ventilation/cooling of PCs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Ventilation/cooling of PCs
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:58:01 GMT

I agree the price differential between SCSI & IDE has narrowed in
recent
years, as has the performace differential, but it is still significant. As
an example, I mentioned I just purchased a 17.3GB Ultra-DMA66 EIDE drive,
this cost me a grand total of £144 (Inc VAT & delivery) from DABS
direct,
the cheapest SCSI drive I could find of a similar capacity came to well
over
£400!! Likewise, decent SCSI controller cards are a lot cheaper nowadays, -
I recently bough two Adaptec PCI cards for about £55 each as I recall, but
think I can safely say that they'll _Never_ get as cheap as EIDE
controllers: (FREE with any new motherboard!)

BTW, I still think the performance of SCSI is way ahead of EIDE, so IF you
can afford it, or justify the difference, I think it's worth it -
especially
if you have a large CD collection to rip - SCSI hardware could potentially
_halve_ the time required to do it...

Regards.

Paul Gordon.

>From: "Timothy Morris" <timmorris@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Ventilation/cooling of PCs
>Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:37:40 +0100
>
>It depends on what you use the PC for, and how old your motherboard is.
>Supermicro (and others) sell boards which have built in SCSI. The
drives
>are
>more expensive than IDE, but not by the same margin as a year ago.
>
>Tim.

range, 'cos if it
> > is,
> > > then you've got a warranty claim!!
> >
> > I too was a bit surprised - and can't be absolutely that this is
the
> > cause of failure - but it seems the most plausible explanation as
far
> > as I can see. The first drive which failed was running so warm it
was
> > almost too hot to touch; changing the case and providing
additional
> > ventilation meant the replacement drive ran warm-to-touch. The
> > temperature doesn't fluctuate significantly in the cupboard,
which I
> > would have thought would have helped to improve reliability. I
will get
> > a digital thermometer before I make any further changes so I can
> > measure before-and-after.
> >
> > Thanks to the others who have contributed suggestions. I'll add
more
> > fans to the PC case and follow up on Nigel's suggestion of a
ceiling
> > level vent. The deceased drive was an EIDE model; I'm hesitant to
> > switch to SCSI - the drives and controllers are more expensive,
and I'd
> > lose an expansion slot.
> >
> > Patrick

> > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d