Re: Ventilation/cooling of PCs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Ventilation/cooling of PCs
  • From: patrick@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 06:06:07 -0700

<19990802124033.48274.qmai-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=745
> Most drives are designed to run pretty hot - I just bought a new
17.3GB
> ultra-DMA66 for my MP3 library, which is rated to run up to 60
degrees
> celcius - that's pretty hot!
>
> None of which helps you of course! but I'm surprised to hear of your
two
> sucessive failures - do you have any indication of the actual temp
inside
> your PC case? - if you can, measure it, and compare it against the
data
> sheet for the drive & see if it's within operating range, 'cos if
it
is,
> then you've got a warranty claim!!

I too was a bit surprised - and can't be absolutely that this is the
cause of failure - but it seems the most plausible explanation as far
as I can see. The first drive which failed was running so warm it was
almost too hot to touch; changing the case and providing additional
ventilation meant the replacement drive ran warm-to-touch. The
temperature doesn't fluctuate significantly in the cupboard, which I
would have thought would have helped to improve reliability. I will get
a digital thermometer before I make any further changes so I can
measure before-and-after.

Thanks to the others who have contributed suggestions. I'll add more
fans to the PC case and follow up on Nigel's suggestion of a ceiling
level vent. The deceased drive was an EIDE model; I'm hesitant to
switch to SCSI - the drives and controllers are more expensive, and I'd
lose an expansion slot.

Patrick

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying