Re: Ventilation/cooling of PCs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Ventilation/cooling of PCs
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timmorris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:50:27 +0100

You didn't mention whether it is a SCSI or EIDE drive. Some manufacturers
share drive mechanisms between different types, but with others you get a
drive with a higer MTBF if you go for the SCSI drives. I have two Seagate
Cheetah 4.5Gb drives in my PC.

I'm also using a Supermicro SC-750 (I think that is the model number), case
together with one of their motherboards. The case has provision for
mounting
fans in a push pull configuration on either side of the drive bays. It also
has a header for a firmware controlled fan on the motherboard, when the CPU
hits a certain temp, the auxilliary fan cuts in until the temp drops by
about 5 degrees. I have noticed that the fan cuts in more often during the
current hot spell, but the cooling is more than adequate. I have:

1 Exhaust fan permanently on near to the power supply.

2 Fans cooling the drives.

1 Inlet fan (auxiliary) mounted at the front near the bottom, to draw in
cool air when things get a bit hot.

Surprisingly it is not that noisy!

Supermicro stuff is available from DABS.

Tim.

Simplifying group communications

Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449