Re: VGA to TV converters

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:29:49 -0000, you wrote:

>Hi James,
>
>I currently have one of these on back order and will review it for UKHA
=
=3D
when it
>arrrives. It is made by
<snip>
Nice one- they are _very_ local yo me. Shame the Maplin price is
lower. The Newcastle shop wasn't taking orders on Saturday as the were
selling like wild fire.

[BTW- Maplin tip- if you are near a shop, drop by with a order and
they don't charge P&P for the bits they don't have to be delivered,
regardless of the order value!]

>As to distributing Video over CAT5......I currently have prototypes
>in use of units sending=3D20
>1.=09Composite Video, Stereo Audio and IR data
>2.=09SVGA
>over CAT5 with superb results. AV had been sent well over 600 metres
>and SVGA is running a 37" monitor 170 metres from the PC.=3D20
I'm impressed!

At work I used what was supposed to be an expensive SVGA distrobution
amp and found it gave fuzzy, washed out pictures. It looked like
they's used 741 op amps instead of something with a little bandwidth.

600m is a long way- I've seen 100ukp passive baluns for Cat5, but
assumed these were only good for CCTV. Perhaps there is more bandwidth
in twisted pair than I thought.

>I am currently in the process of documenting the designs and designing
>the PCB's for the units. Once this is completed the details will be on
=3D
my
>website. If there is sufficient interest in the units I may consider
=3D
either
>a kit or completed boards for people to buy.
Know the feeling well- there are about 6 projects on the workbench
with half-done documentation and WWW write ups.=3D20

I had discounted the idea of sending audio through UTP and decided to
put a PC next to the HiFi to play MP3, record science programs on R4,
etc.=3D20

Linux running BladeEnc MP3 encoder makes an excellent tape recorder-
set a job to record the favorites, and listen to them when you have
the time via a Samba mounted drive, Windows and WinAmp.=3D20

That way the audio moves around via Ethernet. UHF headphones as have
started appearing in Dixons seemed annother alternative.

It looks like you know a better way!

TTFN,

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, =3D
England
Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were =3D
young,
In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.