Re: VGA to TV converters

On Thursday, November 05, 1998 11:08 AM, James Derrick [SMTP:james@xxxxxxx]
wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 19:04:54 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >1) Anyone recommend a good scan converter for VGA to TV.
> No real experience, but Maplin have a "VGA 2 PAL Gamer"
board on offer
> at29.99ukp that does 600x600 (PQ99H). It's cheap, and I'm going to
> risk poor quality output as soon as they get then back in stock.
>
> The picture has a URL on the PCB that is very hard to read:
> 	sales@xxxxxxx ???
>
> Sadly this does not seem to correspond to a WWW site.
>
> >2) What would be the best output method for the distance? (e.g.
S-video,
> >composite etc) I've no idea about maximum distances for this sort
of
> >thing.
> Hmm, you see baluns to convert video to cat 5 UTP, but my guess is the
> quality would be terrible. Perhaps straight UHF would be a cheap
> method. For my own setup, I was looking at getting a cheap recycled PC
> and putting it next to the TV.  That way the long distance can be done
> via Ethernet- it depends on what you want to display.
>
> JAmes
>
> ---
> James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, England
>                  Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
>                  Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were
young,
>                  In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

> at http://www.eGroups.com --
Free Web-based e-mail groups.

Hi James,

I currently have one of these on back order and will review it for UKHA
when it
arrrives. It is made by

Applied Technologies Manufacturing Ltd
The Old Chapel
Winlaton Mill
Blaydon-on-Tyne
NE21 6RT
United Kingdom
Tel +44 191 414 5929
Fax +44 191 414 1939

You can see the details at
http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~atm/vga2pal.html

As to distributing Video over CAT5......I currently have prototypes
in use of units sending
1.	Composite Video, Stereo Audio and IR data
2.	SVGA
over CAT5 with superb results. AV had been sent well over 600 metres
and SVGA is running a 37" monitor 170 metres from the PC.

I am currently in the process of documenting the designs and designing
the PCB's for the units. Once this is completed the details will be on my
website. If there is sufficient interest in the units I may consider either
a kit or completed boards for people to buy.

Keith

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation