Re: Timer problems

On Monday, November 23, 1998 8:14 AM, Nigel Orr [SMTP:nigel.orr@xxxxxxx]
wrote:
> At 17:31 22/11/98 -0000, you wrote:
> >the time and all the program settings.  I'm currently using a
mechanical
> >timer, but even this one occasionally welds it's electrical points
together!

> Sounds like the 3kW heater is drawing significantly more as a
switch-on
> surge- maybe you should have a look at motor starters or contactors-
you
> could have any timer switch a mains contactor across, and you can get
> contactor rated at any current you might desire!
>
> >can control from indoors.  Does anyone know where I can get an X10
switch in
> >the UK that is up to the job?  I'm handy with a soldering iron, so
I don't

> Or you could use any old X-10 appliance module to switch the
contactor.
> Have a look in an electrical catalogue, or visit your local electrical
> distributor.
>
> Nigel
> --
> Nigel Orr                  Research Associate   O   ______

I was going to suggest a contactor but Nigel beat me to it  :-)))

As an alternative...how about a Solid State Relay.
Farnell do SSR's capable of switching 25A 600V with a 1 second overload
rating of 64A and a single cycle surge of 175A.

1 off price is 19-85 + vat. Part Number is 331-478
http://www.farnell.co.uk

Control voltage is 3-32V dc which could come from a plugtop power
supply plugged into an X10 appliance module. It could even be driven
directly by HomeVision or similar controllers. Even a PC parallel port
could drive it.

Keith

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation