Whole house audio

In case anyone is interested ...

If you remember I asked if anyone had any advice about line level audio
distribution around the home with distances of upto 25 metres between
amps and computer sound cards.

Well I tried screened twisted pair and the results are truely amazing,
I was prepared for pretty awful quality but I am hard pushed to tell the
difference from my 30 quid 2 foot phono interconnects. My HiFi system may
not be upto some peoples definition of audiophile but it is ample, just
to give you an idea I used a Nad pre & power amp with Sony CD and
Whafedale
speakers (from the 1970's), a JVC SuperMicro system (GX1000 or something),
another Nad amp and a SoundBlaster 16 Value. I recorded output from the
lounge HiFi, encoded it to mpeg3 and played it back (WinAmp is very good).
Marks suggestion of a PC based mpeg3 encoded juke box is now a reality and
great fun.

I also bought Dragon "Point & Speak" at the weekend. For 50
quid it is
excellent value and works very well, it realy does recognise continuous
speech. It uses one of these head mounted microphones so isn't really
suitable for homeautomation but I may be able to hack some extra hardware
& software together to enable single command recognition.

Alex.
NextCard Internet VISA -- 2.9% intro APR
Earn free airline tickets WITH DOUBLE Rew@rds points.
http://ads.egroups.com/click/60/0/nextcard