RE: Bush Internet Surf Set

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Bush Internet Surf Set
  • From: "Graham P. Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:52:20 -0000

<snip>

> I'm with Free24-7.net (which is the bare-bones v21 service)
> and at around
> 8pm last night I couldn't get a connection (would 'verify username and
> password' and just timeout) either. Could it be that you just
> experimented
> at the wrong time of day? I hope it is, cause I ordered one as well...

At the same time I was connecting to v21 via my router without any
problem (I have ISDN and both channels were available) so I don't think
it was a time of day problem.

> Can you leave the DNS server entries blank, or some other
> settings so it
> defaults to 'autodetect'? This dial-up script, what does it look like?

The DNS settings are required according to the website that describes
the 'hacking' process but I will try leaving them blank. The dial-in
script looks like a modem string, again it might be worth blanking it
out, but other than that I'm not sure how to work out what would work.
As a test I may try it with my pay-as-you-go ISP, though obviously there
would be no advantage in doing this permanently.

> > So at the moment this remains a cheap toy with
> pay-as-you-go connection,
> > crap screen resolution and brain numbing sloth. Also I haven't
yet
> > spotted how to get my 10 quid back from Toys-R-Us.
>
> Isn't there a voucher in the box? Or do you get it by
> registering the set
> top box at the 'homepage'?

No voucher in the box and no obvious link on the home page. During the
registration process I did select Toys-R-Us in the 'bought from' box but
there was no mention of the voucher.

There is one other problem, I couldn't get the thing to display through
my AV system. I tried a simple scart to composite and stereo lead and
plugged that into my AV amp, but the connection from my amp to my
projector is s-video so I assume that it can not convert from composite
to s-video internally (my other sources, DVD, VHS and dreamcast are all
s-video). I'm not too bothered as I have a wireless ePOD in the lounge
for surfing in front of the big screen, also I will probably run s-video
>from
soon as I get time to set it up.

Just thought of one other thing, the TV I have at the moment is only a
small 14" and only has a single scart. I have DVD through VCR into
that
scart socket but need another connection for the Bush unit. Is there
such a thing as an auto switching or IR switchable scart expansion box
for sensible money?

That's all for now, I may get a chance to do some more playing today,
but I have a lot of other stuff to do first.

Regards

Graham