RE: [KAT5] Re: KAT5 and SPDIF?

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] Re: KAT5 and SPDIF?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:42:38 -0000

> Sorry about that:-) My name is Thomas Pontoppidan.

Hi Thomas

> > You would need to refit the termination when you wanted to change
> > over to SPDIF.
>
> Is this easily done?

If you can solder a resistor in place yet. If not, send it to me and I will
solder the resistor in place.

> > Mk2 units will have switchable termination)
>
> Mk2? I haven't seen any mention of Mk2. Any idea when it will be
> available?

Artwork for the PCB's is now complete. Just need to prove it is correct and
then get the boards made. Mk2 is basically a Mk1 with IR fitted as standard
all on the one PCB.

> > Composite, S-Video, Component and RGBS all use the same
circuitry,
> > just
> > 1,2,3 or 4 circuits respectively therefore you can carry whatever
> > mix you
> > want. eg 2 lots of S-Video.
> >
> > Hope that helps
>
> It certainly does. I think I've got a pretty clear picture now. Now
> the only thing missing is a 5 channel mk2 version using two cat5
> cables for RGB+SPDIF or 1 cable for s-video+stereo (assuming this
> could be made at a lower price than 2 separate 4 channel units) :-)

Would probably cost more as I suspect there would be less demand for it. So
far, take up of RGB units has mainly been for Plasma Screens and Projectors
and in these cases people tend to have a completely separate audio system
so
need the audio fed to a different place anyway.

Regards

Keith

Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at
http://www.ukha-archive.com/