RE: [KAT5] IR Upgrade

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] IR Upgrade
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:52:42 +0100

Hi Tony,

> Ahh.. So what is the difference between mk1 and mk2 for the end user?
> OR is it just an internal rebuild to incorporate the IR return
onboard?

A Mk1 doesnt have IR.
A Mk1 with IR upgrade is effectively the same as a Mk2 and will cease to
exist once I have Mk2 circuit boards. Think of the TXIR and RXIR as a Mk1a
:-)

> The IR detector thingy is butt-ugly though isn't it? ;)

'Fraid it isnt the best looking item in the world but I dont have the
facitities for a nice injection moulded case. It is small enough to be
hidden in the gaps between equipment and still receive a good IR signal so
needent be that visible. I can probably offer an alternative in a case for
small surcharge :-)

> So a dual (non blink - whatever that is) was okay?
> How was the dual blink "iffy" - unreliable?

I didnt actually expect the dual blink to work at all because it actually
contains 4 leds, 2 visible, 2 IR, it was a bit difficuly to do full testing
in the time available and in a room full of other kit and loads of
flourescent lighing.

Basically the IR Emitter that you get for free works well, if alternative
ones do the job and are more pleasing to the eye then all well and good but
I cant guarantee that all other emitters will work.