RE: [KAT5] IR Upgrade

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] IR Upgrade
  • From: "Tony Butler" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:33:50 +0100

> > Ahh.. So what is the difference between mk1 and mk2 for the
> end user?
> > OR is it just an internal rebuild to incorporate the IR
> return onboard?
> >

> A Mk1 doesnt have IR.
> A Mk1 with IR upgrade is effectively the same as a Mk2 and
> will cease to exist once I have Mk2 circuit boards. Think of
> the TXIR and RXIR as a Mk1a
> :-)

LOL, ok.  Yes, I knew the differene between mk1 and mk1 + IR :)
So mk2 does not have any sexy new features (not that I can think of any
for,
after all, something that does the job it's designed to do....)

Moving slightly away from that, what's the story on VGA kat5 units - did
they ever make an appearance?
If a HTPC is the best way to go, and a silent one is not an option, then a
remote one is the next best thing....

> > The IR detector thingy is butt-ugly though isn't it? ;)
>
> 'Fraid it isnt the best looking item in the world but I dont
> have the facitities for a nice injection moulded case. It is
> small enough to be hidden in the gaps between equipment and

Ah, but all the equipment will be in node0, so no gaps ;)

> still receive a good IR signal so needent be that visible. I
> can probably offer an alternative in a case for a small surcharge :-)

Can you do something in brushed steel, or "invisible"? :)

> > So a dual (non blink - whatever that is) was okay?
> > How was the dual blink "iffy" - unreliable?
>
> I didnt actually expect the dual blink to work at all because
> it actually contains 4 leds, 2 visible, 2 IR, it was a bit
> difficuly to do full testing in the time available and in a
> room full of other kit and loads of flourescent lighing.

So...was it unreliable then? ;)
Also, what's the difference between blink and non blink ones?
I have, I think, "mouse" xantech emitters - are they blink?

> Basically the IR Emitter that you get for free works well, if
> alternative ones do the job and are more pleasing to the eye
> then all well and good but I cant guarantee that all other
> emitters will work.

That's fair enough.  Since the kit will be hidden, aesthetics of the
emitters is no biggie.
The issue for me is controlling a zillion bits of kit...

Cheers,

Tony