[KAT5] Re: Conecting UK phones to Cat 5

  • Subject: [KAT5] Re: Conecting UK phones to Cat 5
  • From: "Robert Learmouth" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:14:19 -0000

Any mistakes in patching are likely to end in
> fried Switches/routers/network cards the first time the phone rings
> if you do. They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring!
>
> Paul

To cause any (potential) problem a phone would have to be patched
howsoever into a network device by mistake when in practice, the
voice part of the central patch panel should occupy distinct sections
from the data (and use different colour patch cables). There is a
misconception by some people (not necessarily on this forum) that
voice needs to be run through the data network! They are totally
seperate and have distinct runs in the same overall cabling
infratructure.

Hopefully this is stating the obvious to all members of this forum
but I have been on other forums where it's clear peoplee are patching
voice through a switch!

Robert