[KAT5] Re: Room control and wireless...

  • Subject: [KAT5] Re: Room control and wireless...
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:23:18 -0000

--- In kat5-users@xxxxxxx, "Jeremy Aston"
<jeremyaston@y...>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm examining multi-room AV options and really like the use of CAT5
> cabling and the KAT5 modules to reduce the wiring complexity.  What
> I am not really sure about is the best way of controlling sources
> and things like MP3 track or audio volume if operating a discreet
> amplification method.

Personally, I use a mix of techniques:

- Some of my KAT5-based sources are "dumb senders" with no
control.
The best example is "babycam" in the nursery, which is a video
feed.

- I use a wireless web tablet which talks to my home Intranet server
to control other things. The Intranet server has a bunch of pages that
send xAP messages to do things like control my hifi, either directly
with serial cable or through HomeVision / IR. (HomeVision gets xAP
command, sends IR command to device.)

Method "2" involves quite a lot of fiddling, and if I didn't
already
have HomeVision, I'd certainly look hard at the RedRat IR controller.

Mark