[KAT5] Re: Conecting UK phones to Cat 5

  • Subject: [KAT5] Re: Conecting UK phones to Cat 5
  • From: "Paul" <yah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:50:56 -0000

--- In kat5-users@xxxxxxx, "Kevin Roche" <kevin@o...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a site that explains how to connect my house
phones to
> my Cat 5 network?
>
> In the office they use an adaptor which has an RJ45 plug and a UK
phone
> socket. Which pin goes where? How do I connect more than one?
>
> Kevin Roche

Hi Kevin look at http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/rj45.htm
for an
explanation.
Note that its best NOT to use the pairs on pins 1/2 and 3/6 of the
cat 5 cabling for telephones as these are the pairs used by *base t
networks. Bear in mind that your phone line has 50 volts sitting on
it when the phone is on-hook & up to 100 volts at 25 Hz on it when
the phone is ringing. Any mistakes in patching are likely to end in
fried Switches/routers/network cards the first time the phone rings
if you do. They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring!

Paul