RE: kat5 / tv / bathroom?

  • Subject: RE: kat5 / tv / bathroom?
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:13:00 +0000

Hi Gyre

href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=Z6nfrttETc7Ud9IHBBkOd6zvuaTU6Ovn3qsH_5Djgno8xP8FRFdErNYMCJRNai4bej0DwyS3wA">gyre@k...</a>]

> I realise this is an odd topic... but I've got a thorny problem
> that I think kat5 might solve.
>
> I've got an exercise bike in the bathroom, and am getting very
> bored watching a blank wall.

Ive got an exercise bike as well.
BIKE : 14 years old - 2 miles on the clock
CAR : 13 years old 260775 miles on the clock

:-)

> I have a small portable lcd tv. The TV reception in my area is
> too poor to watch the TV off the internal aerial.
> Also, 5 channels is mondo boring compared
> to a fully-paid up sky digibox and a tivo :)

Valid point.

> So... I thought of trying to get a better signal over to the TV.
>
> I did think about trying to generate UHF from the next room that
> the TV could
> pick up directly, but a friend said that I might fall foul of the
> home office
> transission regulations, as well as pissing off the neighbours.
> In addition,
> I've not seen any short-range UHF transmitters available.

An RF modulator will act as a very low power transmitter. Get a loop aerial
off a portable TV and connect it to the output of the Modulator. Very
doubtful that the neighbours would even be aware of its existance unless it
was on the same channel as the RF output of their VCR or Satellite.

> I could try a video sender... and connect the TV to a receiver running
off
> batteries or a transformer outside of the room with a long wire.
>
> I could try using a kat5 receiver... and running it similarly
> from a long length
> of transformer wire, or possibly batteries. Or, is there a way
> of getting power from the cat5 wire?

Pesumably you only require Composite video so that would leave the Brown
pair (S-Video Chroma) unused which could be split out from the cable using
modified lead. If you only wanted mono audio as well then that would give
you another pair of wires.

VERY IMPORTANT: YOU WOULD NEED TO ENSURE THAT WHATEVER POWER SUPPLY YOU
USED
WAS SUITABLE FOR USE FEEDING LOW VOLTAGE ITEMS IN A BATHROOM.

> I guess the ideal thing is a TV with a video sender built-in that
> runs by pedal
> power :) :)

Well fitting a dynamo to the exercise bike would make sure you kept up the
speed otherwise you would miss the program. You could also move the
exercise
bike to a location where electricity want a problem!!!