Re: Going Cat5

  • Subject: Re: Going Cat5
  • From: mark_harrison_uk2
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:40:00 +0000

Eek - I go away from a PC for a couple of days and quotes from me
proliferate :-)

Yes - the video circuit of a KAT5 unit transmits an SP/DIF signal,
with either Dolby Digital or PCM encoding.

No - I've not tried in multi-drop, but I see no reason why it
shouldn't work. After all (grumble follows) the biggest problem
(imho) with the SP/DIF standard is that it DOESN'T have any form of
backchannel comms even for timesync, so it's not as if KAT5 units
have to do anything more than amplify properly to work in
multidrop... Keith understands far more about termination of digital
buses than me, so if he think's it'll work I'm inclined to believe
him.

I should point out that, because I have high standards, I de-jitter
my digital signals with an outboard mastering processor IN BETWEEN
the digital switch and the surround processor. Hence, KAT5 _could_ be
introducing a small amount of jitter into the signal without my
noticing. (It almost certainly is - anything introduces jitter - the
trick is to keep it manageable.)

Regards,

Mark

--- In <a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=tJ4u9ccfXWU6--rNLy9PD4S0XaGdinOivWz7y4F1gSuPZiuUQitAAz3ndf1u8qmJAzEHSEulihqXNOLETGpIZpAoVkU">kat5-users@xxxxxxx</a>,
"Keith Doxey" <kat5users@d...>
wrote:
> Mark H proved that Digital Audio worked over a normal video channel.
>
> I see no reason why it shouldnt also work on a multidrop
configuration.