LCD TV''s/PC monitors

  • Subject: LCD TV''s/PC monitors
  • From: simonstill
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 08:17:00 +0000

A little off topic but this seems as good a place as any to ask.
Does anyone have any experience? I'm looking for something to put
in my kitchen where we watch a fair bit of our TV, usually piped
from a Freeview box (via TiVo). I also want a PC in the kitchen so
combining the two seems to make sense. There will be an audio
system of some description as well so my thoughts were:
- 17"-22" 16:9 format LCD
- a small, quiet PC to use for MP3/CD audio, email and net
- 'Hi-fi' amp, tuner and speakers.

That way I can watch TV (piped in from TiVo via KAT5), listen to
music, check email etc.

The LCD is giving me trouble however - there dont seem to be many
about, they're a *lot* more expensive than PC LCD monitors when you
look at major brands, and most of all I've not met anyone who owns
one and I've seen few reviews. There are started to be a few
cheaper ones about such as the RELISYS RLT1720 ('buy it now' on eBay
for £430) but i havent found any shops stocking these to have a look
at them.

It probabably needs to have RGB scart, S-Video, and analogue and
digital PC connections. Is there any way of using a PC monitor with
some kind of 'breakout' box to convert RGB into a PC signal? Could
i put radio and tv tuners in the PC as PCI modules and run the video
in that way?