RE: KAT5 Website Updated

  • Subject: RE: KAT5 Website Updated
  • From: Robert Chasmer
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:37:00 +0000

Phil Harris [mailto:<a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=GSKlY9bFsqd3bsbpGFGgnBE3gNbyvv8y23jO5M7OZLj23lq2lrMhsVzxn2C_gvoqyz_pscdGatIOPB8IDuFx2stc_7M">phillip.harris1@v...</a>]
wrote:
> The Ellie is not bad at all ... The built in line doubler is certainly
> more than acceptable given the price.
>
> It is still an analogue chassis IIRC and so you can't have different
> memory settings for switching between 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic.

Its had lots of good reviews, and like you say for the price, is very
good.

> Perforated screens are only any use if you can get your centre speaker
> in behind it! For most rooms this will mean distancing the screen a
> couple of feet into the room and therefore having to move the
> projector back as well. Perforated screens are bloody expensive
> too ... You'll be looking at a couple of grand to get something half
> reasonable!

I'd imagine that I not use the projector for all TV viewing and so
think I'd stick with my current telly as well. The projector would
be for flims, and hopefully gaming. The way I have the lounge setup
at the mo, the Screen would either need to drop down just in front of the
curtains, and come no further down than the TV (so may be a little high)
or drop down in front of the TV, coming a lot lower, likely in
front of the speakers I have.

> Nope ... I got an NEC P6Extra CRT projector (£12,500 new) second
> hand with 1,600 hours use but no tube burns for £2,250 and a 7ft
> wide fixed 16:9 screen second hand still boxed (even now and
> waiting for the garage conversion) but unused for £300. I got a
> brand new Owl 6ft wide 4:3 electric screen for £350 but there's
> a place in Glasgow doing non-Owl electric screens for not much
> more than that and they do mail order.
>
> The *EXPENSIVE* part of my system was a Tview Quadscan line
> quadrupler which cost £1,700 new but another mate recently bought
> one second hand from ebay for £500.

You seem to have managed to save enormous amounts of money and got
yourself a very good setup. I'm not sure I'd be able to get that
sort of a deal, or know what to lookout for second hand. Persuading
the other half, we need to save 6k+ to get the telly I've always
wanted and make lots of new holes in the ceiling is... well....
progressing more slowly than I had hoped.

Cheers

Rob
--

If you have received this email in error please let us know by e-mail reply
and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose
its contents to anyone. Please note that any views or opinions presented in
this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of MMT Computing plc. Finally, the recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses. MMT Computing plc accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.