RE: KAT5 Website Updated

  • Subject: RE: KAT5 Website Updated
  • From: Phil Harris
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:27:00 +0000

> I keep reading the reviews of projectors looking at the
> differences between DLP and CRT. The last one I had my eye
> on was the Ellie <a href="http://www.screensuk.co.uk/";>http://www.screensuk.co.uk/</a>
as its
> affordable, but still a CRT. The built in Line Doubler
> supposed to be pretty good as well.

The Ellie is not bad at all ... The built in line doubler is certainly
more than acceptable given the price.

It is still an analogue chassis IIRC and so you can't have different
memory settings for switching between 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic.

> Looking back at the piccies, is that an Ellie on your ceiling?

Marks is a Seleco...

> A good screen will no doubt make a massive difference to your
> setup. In the latest issue of HCC they seem to be going on
> about perforated stewart screens as the only choice, to
> ensure the sound can come from behind the screen. CRT is
> apperently the only choice to avoid moire patterning that
> you'd get with an LCD or DLP projector on a perforated screen.

Perforated screens are only any use if you can get your centre speaker
in behind it! For most rooms this will mean distancing the screen a
couple of feet into the room and therefore having to move the projector
back as well. Perforated screens are bloody expensive too ... You'll be
looking at a couple of grand to get something half reasonable!

Fow AV use the CRT is still the best route ... Cheap LCD projectors do
have limited resolution and crap colour rendition which is easy to
overlook on a Powerpoint presentation but unforgivable when your
favourite actress/babe appears in her skimpy outfit looking like she's
spent the day on the beach with no suncream on!

> Anyway it's all pie in the sky for me. I'd need at least
> 4000 or 6000 pounds for the projector. Then I guess a grand
> or more for the screen. Then the install itself.... Ahh
> well back to me 32" CRT telly.

Nope ... I got an NEC P6Extra CRT projector (£12,500 new) second hand
with 1,600 hours use but no tube burns for £2,250 and a 7ft wide fixed
16:9 screen second hand still boxed (even now and waiting for the garage
conversion) but unused for £300. I got a brand new Owl 6ft wide 4:3
electric screen for £350 but there's a place in Glasgow doing non-Owl
electric screens for not much more than that and they do mail order.

The *EXPENSIVE* part of my system was a Tview Quadscan line quadrupler
which cost £1,700 new but another mate recently bought one second hand
from ebay for £500.

Phil