RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA

  • Subject: RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA
  • From: BUTLER, Tony, FM
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:26:00 +0000

> I admire Keith's efforts to integrate IRDA into KAT5 but I am sure
> Xantech and a host of other companies have put hundreds, if not
> thousands, of man-hours into developing their products to
> support IRDA,
> bar none they have failed! For that reason, I would say that it, while
> probably possible, may well be out of reach in terms of time
> and effort
> to create a reliable system that can work in harmony with
> "standard" IR.

Not necessarily - remember, integration of PC and entertainment systems
and/or
HA is a relatively new field and Xantech etc are largely coming from the
Hifi
world. Just because we all use PC's etc, doesn't mean the rest of the world
is
au-fait with this sort of thing.
I was very surprised what - 18 months ago? when my local Linn retailer
could

barely use a PC - I thought Linn was crying out for some sort HA/PC
integration!

Many HiFi websites are barely a front page with contact details &
directions
to the
shop - and the manufacturers are not much better.

It is improving granted, but until there's a big push on the integration
side & cross-pollination
of the two cultures, don't expect much any time soon.....

Laptop manufacturers and moblie phone ppl seem to cope okay with IrDA, so
there's no real reason
why Xantech et al can't do it!!!

Tony.

Visit our Internet site at <a href="http://www.rbsmarkets.com";>http://www.rbsmarkets.com</a>