RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA

  • Subject: RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA
  • From: Kenneth Watt
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:12:00 +0000

IDRA, so far as I am concerned, is not an acceptable control system for
home appliances, hell I even refuse to buy a PDA because it uses such a
silly system! I was given a PDA for nought, that's different ;-)

Personally, I would not buy an STB, or any other appliance, that used
IRDA as a control method simply due to the fact that I would not be able
to integrate it with everything else in the house, like the Pronto's and
my IR control system. In effect it would be an almost worthless device
to me unless I had one specific use for it!

The local cable company that are currently laying cable as if it were
going out of fashion around here, OMNE, are using a PACE box that does
not use IRDA so I would consider them ASAP to get broadband. However,
had they used an IRDA enabled box then I would not have looked at it!

IMO, NTL or whoever should be able to supply a box that does not use
IRDA, it can be done, they have the product; they just seem to not be
too bothered about their customers requirements. After all, they have
been told about this problem repeatedly and even the simplest of HA or
IR extending is not possible using these STBs, even for Joe Bloggs that
just wants a remote feed to the bedroom alone through a video sender!

I admire Keith's efforts to integrate IRDA into KAT5 but I am sure
Xantech and a host of other companies have put hundreds, if not
thousands, of man-hours into developing their products to support IRDA,
bar none they have failed! For that reason, I would say that it, while
probably possible, may well be out of reach in terms of time and effort
to create a reliable system that can work in harmony with
"standard" IR.

Just an opinion of course as always.

K.

This is K. From Work! I really should be working ;-)