RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA

  • Subject: RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA
  • From: Sam Partington
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:42:00 +0000

I also suffer from the same infuriating situation, and have looked at
various alternatives for a solution.

1. Like the guy on the forum, I considered a IR relay unit, but it just
seemed to messy, and unlreliable.

2. An IrDA to serial converter, which I could then connect to a small PIC
or
AVR IR receiver, with a conversion table of known IR commands to IrDA
sequences in the firmware. The IrDA->Serial converter I was going to use
was the MAX3130 from www.maxim-ic.com
(look at <a href="http://dbserv.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm?appnote_number=631";>http://dbserv.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm?appnote_number=631</a>
and <a href="http://dbserv.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm?qv_pk=1947";>http://dbserv.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm?qv_pk=1947</a>
(sorry if these
lines wrap))
I even got as far as ordering some sample chips (which I still have two of
each chip required), before realising that I was going to have to brush up
on my electronics skills before attempting it. I may still do this at some
point, but not just yet.

3. Finally, as I'm slowly putting together a PC to go in my lounge, my plan
is to use the IrDA header on that, and an IR receiver, and implement the
converter in software.

However, option 2 still seems like the most attractive option to me. With a
suitable uP, you could even make the box a learning converter, i.e. press a
button to reset it, then zap the box with your IrDA remote, then zap it
with
the plain IR command with which you want it to be associated, and so on,
and
then finally press the button again to go out of learning mode. Would be
very neat.

Hope this helps somebody...

Sam