Re: Audio & video distribution

  • Subject: Re: Audio & video distribution
  • From: nickt@xxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:18:00 +0000

Thanks for prompt response Keith.
Where I am at present is the final stages (weeks) of my house
restoration & the planning stages for HA etc - I will get you to
supply some units so I can start playing (I also need to prove to my
partner that the 60 CAT5's dropping into the cellar will have some
use!).
WRT daisy chaining - will I need 1 transmitter for each receiver, or
1 transmitter for the chain and a receiver for each viewing/listening
point? IE is the video setup a) source - tx - rx - TV - tx - rx - TV -
etc
or b) source - tx - rx - TV - rx - TV - rx - TV - etc. c) For audio
only could I not just go source - tx - {multiple CAT5's in a star} -
{(rx - Amp - speakers)in each listening point} ?

I'd have thought there's bound to be distortion/degradation if
multiple tx - rx conversions of the same signal were necessary, but
maybe it's not perceivable.

Getting myself in knots - I guess once I have some units things will
become clearer.

Keep up the good work though Keith.

Regds

Nick

--- In kat5-users@y..., "Keith Doxey" <kat5.diyha@b...>
wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Welcome to the KAT5 list.
>
> The existing modules can be used for audio only if you wish. A KAT5
AV
> switcher is in the pipeline which can select from any of several
sources. I
> am also working on adding Remote control to the existing S-Video
units.

> KAT5 was originally designed as a point to point link but I am now
able to
> daisy chain the units. If your house is already star wired you just
use 2
> cables to each room, 1 to take the signal there and one to bring it
back to
> send to the next room.
>
> Source-0-A-0-B-C-0-D etc where "0" is your patch panel at
node 0.

> When the switcher is available you will only need one cable to each
room.

> Source1 - S - Room1
> Source2 - W - Room2
> Source3 - I - Room3
> Source4 - T - Room4
> Source5 - C - Room5
> Source6 - H - Room6
> Source7 - E - Room7
> Source8 - R - Room8
>
> Where the switcher is located either at Node 0 or in you AV rack if
that is
> where all the sources are. In that case you would need a lot of
cables from
> AV Node to Node 0 to distribute to the rest of the house.
>
> When the MCA unit is ready you could send 2 stereo signals to each
room and
> feed them into different inputs on your amp however I would
recommend taking
> the S-Video+Stereo route as you (or the family) will eventually
want PC
> based video recorder, TiVo, Digibox, OnDigital etc distributed
around the
> house. Mark McCall is already doing this with Showshifter.
>
> If you want to do Video and Audio distribution at the same time you
will
> need 2 distribution setups but doing one or the other could be done
over a
> single distribution channel.
>
> Any units you get now will be compatable with the switcher when it
is ready.

> Basically KAT5 carries 4 circuits and can be custom built to any
mix of
> Audio/Video in either direction so you could have a unit to send
and receive
> stereo if you wanted.....at a price :-)
>
> I would seriously consider getting the standard S-Video + Stereo
modules as
> it will enable you to carry video in the future. It neednt be video
> connected to the audio, it could be HA information from your PC,
CCTV
> distribution etc. What about if you buy a DVD Jukebox, you will
need the
> video distribution then.
>
> Hope that answers a few questions
>
> Keith

RR
> > prices!) - will KAT5 enable me to do something similar though? I
> > appreciate that I'll probably need to wait till Keith offers the
MCA

href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=FnpE1kh24E0Ef_cS7guymP6qu_TxcV1FJzWiwVuGQePEUuVDd-768JUueZs8z3oYmzCMw_Jh8Ob2N8d0ZM_7LsOH3ui7C1VT">kat5-users-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>