Re: protocol for wifi smart switches and outlets?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:36:56 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
<pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>While I've been waiting to see whether Zigbee or Zwave was going to be
>the future of home automation, wifi-enabled outlets and switches have
>quietly been getting popular.  But...  I haven't been able to find any
>information about just what protocol they use.  So...  does anyone know?

TCP/IP, HTTP, XML, and SOAP

My Wemos seem much more complex than necessary.  An on command to a
switch is a big long string of XML looking stuff that has an ASCII 1
in the middle.  The off command uses the identical big long string but
with a zero instead of the 1.