protocol for wifi smart switches and outlets?

While I've been waiting to see whether Zigbee or Zwave was going to be
the future of home automation, wifi-enabled outlets and switches have
quietly been getting popular.  But...  I haven't been able to find any
information about just what protocol they use.  So...  does anyone know?