Re: Building a simple Automated Light system

On Wednesday, 14 May 2014 16:08:00 UTC+1, Ozzy  wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I am interested in building a simple demo for an automated home control s=
ystem. Essentially, I do not have access to the property as of yet, and can=
not put in live systems just yet.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> However, I am looking to start purchasing some of the components and plan=
 the wiring and layout for the project as of now. As well as to test how in=
teroperable they are.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Ideally, in the long term, I am looking for the following:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> - Open source and hackable/modifiable code/hardware. This is a must for a=
s much of the project as possible. I would like hardware and software, that=
 has some sort of open source support, as opposed to some propriety code wh=
ich may or may not be supported in 10~20 years when I want to change parts =
of the system.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> - Green and energy efficient. Ideally looking at LED lights and low power=
 consumption units. I do not like the idea of having things plugged in cons=
tanty and powering them up with a timer, as they seem to draw power even wh=
en idle. It would be great to be able to monitor energy use for both heatin=
g and electricity.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> - Central point of control (ideally with a web front end). I understand t=
hat a home automation system will require some sort of server to monitor an=
d control it for the most part. I am happy to purchase a low energy machine=
 with ample power for the system. Again, this will ideally be a pretty stan=
dard software/hardware solution, that can be upgraded and mantained over th=
e years by myself. I would have thought some sort of linux box with softwar=
e that can be controlled with a web based interface (I only ask for this, a=
s I can build a mobile app to work alongside this tool, with an interface o=
f my liking)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> - Main light systems (not lamps plugged into the wall power outlet) to be=
 controlled by this system. I just want a interface on my server that lets =
me choose a room and which lights to enable.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> - Heating: ideally like 'google nest'. Centrally controlled, and again, I=
 just pick a room, and enable/disable or set a temperature. Or set a profil=
e. I.e 'summer setting' or 'winter setting' and have preset values for each=
 of the room.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> - Not too bothered about music and video streaming, but I will route TV c=
ables and CAT5 cables through to the most important living spaces (living r=
oom, some bedrooms and kitchen), hidden behind walls/floorboards. This will=
 allow me to setup a music streaming server or remote file access for my mu=
sic collection and enable my smart TV to pick it up or someone with a lapto=
p to pick it up off the wireless network.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The truth is, I have no idea where to begin, I keep hearing about complex=
 wiring systems and plug and play systems that control the likes of lamps a=
nd toasters (x10 and so on). But what I would like is to start simple and b=
uild the system up as I go along. I am doing major renovation work to the h=
ouse and that would be a good time to replace some plaster board and lay so=
me new cables.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Starting with the very basics, what would I need to control the living ro=
om light (just on/off, no dimming for now) via my PC?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I assume I would need the light switch modifed to be attached to a device=
 that can pick up signals from the home router. When my computer sends an o=
n signal, the switch activates and vice versa.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I can then attach a second device to my kitchen lights, and so on?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Sorry for the long post, but I hope the long term goals help realise that=
 a) I have grand plans and no idea how to execute them, and b) They are lon=
g term goals but they will shape the short term things I do now (such as th=
e component purchases and length of wiring and so on).

Apologies, I forgot to add to my long list of long term goals. But other th=
ings I would consider a priority are:

- the phone system (ideally some form of control over the voice message set=
tings, check incoming messages, and route calls room to room - I believe th=
is will be some form of VOIP PBX software system, plugged into the network =
and will require additional cabling routed around the house (i.e. kitchen, =
bedroom, living room)
- broadband monitoring, proxy/cache, hardware firewall, bandwidth usage etc=
, to be monitored from the LAN
- CCTV system, to monitor the front door, driveway and other entrance point=
s to the property. Probably also control when lights are turned on near the=
 entrances (i.e. detect body heat).
- And finally door control, for the garage door, but also remotely open the=
 sliding garden door.

Thats all I can think up of for now. Again these are long term goals, for n=
ow any pointers for the simple light control would be appreciated.