Building a simple Automated Light system

Hi all,

I am interested in building a simple demo for an automated home control sys=
tem. Essentially, I do not have access to the property as of yet, and canno=
t put in live systems just yet.

However, I am looking to start purchasing some of the components and plan t=
he wiring and layout for the project as of now. As well as to test how inte=
roperable they are.

Ideally, in the long term, I am looking for the following:

- Open source and hackable/modifiable code/hardware. This is a must for as =
much of the project as possible. I would like hardware and software, that h=
as some sort of open source support, as opposed to some propriety code whic=
h may or may not be supported in 10~20 years when I want to change parts of=
 the system.

- Green and energy efficient. Ideally looking at LED lights and low power c=
onsumption units. I do not like the idea of having things plugged in consta=
nty and powering them up with a timer, as they seem to draw power even when=
 idle. It would be great to be able to monitor energy use for both heating =
and electricity.

- Central point of control (ideally with a web front end). I understand tha=
t a home automation system will require some sort of server to monitor and =
control it for the most part. I am happy to purchase a low energy machine w=
ith ample power for the system. Again, this will ideally be a pretty standa=
rd software/hardware solution, that can be upgraded and mantained over the =
years by myself. I would have thought some sort of linux box with software =
that can be controlled with a web based interface (I only ask for this, as =
I can build a mobile app to work alongside this tool, with an interface of =
my liking)

- Main light systems (not lamps plugged into the wall power outlet) to be c=
ontrolled by this system. I just want a interface on my server that lets me=
 choose a room and which lights to enable.

- Heating: ideally like 'google nest'. Centrally controlled, and again, I j=
ust pick a room, and enable/disable or set a temperature. Or set a profile.=
 I.e 'summer setting' or 'winter setting' and have preset values for each o=
f the room.

- Not too bothered about music and video streaming, but I will route TV cab=
les and CAT5 cables through to the most important living spaces (living roo=
m, some bedrooms and kitchen), hidden behind walls/floorboards. This will a=
llow me to setup a music streaming server or remote file access for my musi=
c collection and enable my smart TV to pick it up or someone with a laptop =
to pick it up off the wireless network.

The truth is, I have no idea where to begin, I keep hearing about complex w=
iring systems and plug and play systems that control the likes of lamps and=
 toasters (x10 and so on). But what I would like is to start simple and bui=
ld the system up as I go along. I am doing major renovation work to the hou=
se and that would be a good time to replace some plaster board and lay some=
 new cables.

Starting with the very basics, what would I need to control the living room=
 light (just on/off, no dimming for now) via my PC?

I assume I would need the light switch modifed to be attached to a device t=
hat can pick up signals from the home router. When my computer sends an on =
signal, the switch activates and vice versa.

I can then attach a second device to my kitchen lights, and so on?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope the long term goals help realise that a=
) I have grand plans and no idea how to execute them, and b) They are long =
term goals but they will shape the short term things I do now (such as the =
component purchases and length of wiring and so on).